The firm is planning to create 25 new jobs on the island
(UK).- British bookmaker William Hill is planning to make up to 65 positions redundant at its Gibraltar-based telephone betting and customer services operation. According to the Gibraltar Chronicle newspaper, the cuts come in response to a drop in the number of customers using the bookmaker’s telephone betting services, with punters instead opting for electronic methods.
(UK).- Echo Entertainment's Chief Technology Officer, Rob James, has resigned from his position to become Director of IT at gaming firm William Hill. In his new position at the UK bookmaker. James will be responsible for reshaping the organisation’s IT in response to recent local acquisitions of SportingBet, CentreBet and Tom Waterhouse, and a subsequent expansion into the Australian market.
To implement infrastructure to support growth strategy
(UK).- OpenBet announced that Doreena Ross has joined the company as Vice President of Human Resources, effective immediately. She had previously held senior roles in HR and people development within the software industry, such as International Business Systems (IBS), Interwoven (now known as HP Autonomy) and Sybase, and also led her own HR consultancy business.
There are presently 153 betting shops with 559 FOBTs
(UK).- Liverpool City Council has become the first local authority in the UK to vote to ban fixed odds betting terminals in licensed betting offices. At a meeting on Thursday, councillors voted in favour of urging the government to introduce legislation to outlaw FOBTs in betting shops or to give local authorities the powers to limit the spread of new LBOs and to reduce the maximum stakes and speed of play on such machines.
To support Grosvenor Casinos’ innovative ‘clubs online’ strategy
(UK).- Evolution Gaming has announced that is has launched a greatly extended and all-new dedicated Live Casino environment for UK’s casino operator Grosvenor Casinos. The state of the art, dedicated environment, created at Evolution’s Riga studios, went live on 4th November, with additional features under the Live Casino tab on the website –www.grosvenorcasinos.com/LiveCasino.
Entering the electronic lottery gaming market
(US).- Novomatic, through its subsidiary Novo Lottery Solutions, has acquired a majority shareholding in Betware Holding, the Icelandic gaming pioneer and the leader in online gaming solutions for the lottery market. Through its subsidiary Novo Lottery Solutions, Novomatic now owns a 90% shareholding in the Icelandic company, with the remaining 10% retained by the Betware management.
In response to customer complaints
(UK).- PartyPoker, the online poker brand of online gaming operator bwin.party, has pledged to develop better communication channels with its customers. Jeffrey Haas, the company’s new director of poker, outlined PartyPoker’s promise to communicate more openly and regularly with customers.
Bill 2013-14 passed its second reading this week
(UK).- The UK Parliament has invited submissions from those who have “a special interest” in the proposed Gambling (Licensing and Advertising) Bill. Bill 2013-14 passed its second reading this week and now moves on to the House of Commons Public Bill Committee for “detailed examination”.
By climbing Kilimanjaro
(UK).- Inspired Gaming Group congratulated Jim O’Halleran, SVP of Corporate Relations and Compliance at Inspired, on climbing Kilimanjaro and raising 21,000 euros for his two nominated charities the Responsible Gaming Trust (RGT) and Mayfield & Ellastone Community First Responders.
It accounted for 23% of the total revenue figure
(UK).- Online gaming operator Unibet has posted a 28% year-on-year increase in gross winnings revenue for the third quarter of 2013, a rise that it has put down to the growth of its mobile business. Total gross winnings revenue for the latest quarter amounted to 65.6 million euros, up from 51.9 million euros achieved in the same period last year.